Almost every homemaker of the washing machine, sooner or later, happens: she takes out the laundry from the device, but instead of freshness, she feels the smell of mustiness … Therefore, the topic of today’s article is how to get rid of the stale smell in the washer. But, before you get rid of it, you will need to figure out why it is formed. Otherwise, it will be impossible to delete it.
- 1 WHAT EXACTLY CAN SMELL FROM THE WASHING MACHINE?
- 2 PLACES OF ACCUMULATION OF FUNGUS OR WHY THERE IS A SMELL IN THE WASHING MACHINE
- 3 IS THERE ONE UNIVERSAL WAY TO GET RID OF THE SMELL?
- 4 WHAT AND HOW CAN YOU WASH THE WASHING MACHINE?
- 5 STEP-BY-STEP WAYS TO NEUTRALIZE THE SMELL
- 5.1 Experimenting with powders and conditioners
- 5.2 Remove the smell from the drum.
- 5.3 Remove the smell from the powder tray.
- 5.4 Cleaning the detergent supply channel
- 5.5 Clean the drain filter
- 5.6 Remove scale from the heating part.
- 5.7 Change or clean the drain hose.
- 5.8 Looking for stagnant water
- 5.9 We are in combat with the ZHEK and require the replacement of pipes.
- 6 HOW TO PREVENT THE APPEARANCE OF A STALE ODOR?
- 7 CONCLUSION
WHAT EXACTLY CAN SMELL FROM THE WASHING MACHINE?
The most disgusting smell that can come from the machine is the smell of fungal mould. It’s so sharply sweet and smells just awful. He’s downright heartbreaking. And to wear a thing that smells like that is impossible.
Also, the machine may smell of acetone, gasoline or other chemicals. But in this case – Everything is not so terrible, since the fault is some dirty thing, in gasoline, which you threw into the washer. And such a smell – washes out by itself. A couple of washes with some old sheet, and that’s it; the problem is solved.
So, there is no point in talking about this; it is better to discuss how to detect and neutralize the mouldy smell. This is a problem that can entail not only unnecessary expenses but also endless fuss.
PLACES OF ACCUMULATION OF FUNGUS OR WHY THERE IS A SMELL IN THE WASHING MACHINE
There are a lot of such places, and it’s scary… It is unlikely that at least someone, from the first time, managed to determine where exactly it stands correctly.
Sources of unpleasant odour in the washing machine can be:
- The drum itself, not inside, where you can see it, but from behind;
- The channel through which detergents are supplied;
- Tray (cell) for powders;
- Heating agent (especially if it has begun to oxidize);
- Drain hose or filter;
- Stagnation of water in the lower part of the machine due to improper installation/staging;
- Pipes of general communications (only in old houses).
As you can see, there are plenty of places that are not so easy to clean. But the worst is the last option. Below we will describe step by step how to deal with the smell in each case. In the meantime, read the tale to our long article.
IS THERE ONE UNIVERSAL WAY TO GET RID OF THE SMELL?
Many people think it is unnecessary to look for something there, clean it, and take and drive a machine using some chemical agent. After all, in theory, it should get into all places and cracks and automatically wash out the alleged sites of accumulation of fungus.
In principle, this is the right decision, and you always need to start with it. But, here, keep in mind that the washing should be done not once but a couple of times in a row.
Why is that? And because the acid or other chemical substance may not completely break down the plaque the first time, but only “fluff” it, from which the stench will only increase. Therefore, rinse twice and, if this does not help, you will have to look for the root of evil.
WHAT AND HOW CAN YOU WASH THE WASHING MACHINE?
“Idle” washing should be done only with hot water, in boiling mode.
This is the most crucial point. The second is the choice of means. It is unnecessary to take expensive chemistry; if desired, you can do it with folk remedies.
Calgon is a good thing, but you need to use it in extreme cases. He removes the scale, but he spoils the rubber. Cars very quickly fail if you are fond of this tool. Only once a year can be applied or if there is a smell.
Citric acid – no worse than “Calgon” and even better. It perfectly dissolves scale, sediment and does not “kill” the rubber at the same time. She can and should wash the machine “idle” about once every two months. Just pour a pack of lemon into the drum and put the wash in the “boiling” mode. This method helps to get rid of problems quickly.
Soda (we do not advise) is a weaker tool and can be used if nothing is at hand and it is not expected. But, frankly, it isn’t easy to imagine such a situation in our 21st century.
Vinegar (we do not advise) is an acid, and it, theoretically, should wash no worse than “lemon”. But in fact, vinegar and in the wash is not suitable for powdered concentrate of citric acid. Not only is he not able to remove the scale, but he also leaves the smell behind him that you will wash for a week, and things will smell of vinegar.
Chlorine (not recommended) – it dissolves very well. The fungus against her is powerless. But then wash the machine from the smell of chlorine will not be so easy. It will be necessary to drive three times, with clean water without additives, and then ventilate the machine for a long time. And most importantly, a run with chlorine does not guarantee that the smell will go away since it can be in a place where the solution does not fall.
Total, what is the conclusion: any cleaning is best to start with a run with a “lemon” since it dissolves well and is not necessary to ventilate.
STEP-BY-STEP WAYS TO NEUTRALIZE THE SMELL
Experimenting with powders and conditioners
Very often, it is detergents that are the cause of the smell. Cheap powders – do not dissolve to the end; therefore, after washing, the parts of the machine remain not clean but plastered with microparticles of these miracle powders.
And, if you wash often, then there are no problems. And, if mould has time to develop once a week or less often, then during this time. Moreover, on any details, even those that will not “get” the run with citric acid.
Remove the smell from the drum.
It’s not about whether the drum is dirty on the inside. The drum can be covered with mold from the outside, which means that only a workshop, complete disassembly of the machine and tangible costs will save here.
There’s a lot of dirt there. If you do regular prevention, which you will read about below, then such a moment will come much later, but it will still come.
Remove the smell from the powder tray.
If you have a machine with vertical loading, then Everything is simple there. Pull out the drawer and wash it thoroughly with an old toothbrush. If we are talking about a horizontal machine with almost no access to the ditch, you will have to dodge and clean the compartment with improvised means.
For example, you can wind on a thin, long knitting needle – cotton wool, wet it in alcohol or chlorine and wipe. You can pour chlorine there, but do not forget to drive the car idle several times.
Cleaning the detergent supply channel
If it is clogged, then here too, a spoke with cotton wool will help. But, in theory, it should be cleaned at the moment when you start idle washing with lemon.
And honestly, it’s not a place that is the source of the damage and where the smell may come from. But, negligent owners have Everything. Therefore, we list this place just in case.
Clean the drain filter
In principle, the smell of fungus from the filter almost does not happen. Sorry, there can smell, so to speak, not a fungus, but garbage, because pieces of food can get there. But, in any case, you need to remove this filter, check it and wash it thoroughly as needed.
Remove scale from the heating part.
Ten, too, can hardly be covered with fungus. It acquires a “fur coat” of scale. It, of course, can give some very faint smell, but it has nothing to do with the scent of mould.
So, be that as it may since you got there and “gutted” the machine, it is worth paying attention to the heating tower and cleaning it. You can remove it and soak it for a day or three in a robust solution of lemon; it helps.
But, in general, the heater should be cleaned not only for the sake of cleanliness but also for saving electricity.
The more covered the heater with plaque, the more current it pulls to give the temperature necessary for washing. That is, it needs more power and time to heat the water. And such a load – affects the motor … Everything in the machine is interconnected, straight, as in the human body.
Change or clean the drain hose.
It’s as simple as that. Disconnect it and smell it. If there is a smell, try to soak it for a day in a chlorine solution. If this does not help, then buy a new one and do not fool your head. It’s not that much money.
Looking for stagnant water
It happens that the smell comes from the container below, where there is always a little water. In general, this is a strange and exceptional case since, in theory, water should always be there to protect the rubber from overdrying.
But, if you installed the car incorrectly, there may be a skew at the wrong level and much more water than necessary. And, in general, we can not say precisely why it turns out, but it is in that place – the smell should not be exactly. Maybe you left for a couple of months? Then, perhaps, there was some stagnation. And then, it can’t be.
We are in combat with the ZHEK and require the replacement of pipes.
If your underwear began to smell unpleasant, then do not rush to beat in fanfare and check if there is a smell from another tap that comes from the same pipe? Sometimes it is entirely invisible, for example, in the same bathroom.
Let’s say the first portion of water has some smell, and then it emerges, and, in the end, you do not notice that the scent is there. The first batch of stagnant water from the pipes is typed into the machine, and there it runs throughout the cycle.
In general, if it’s about pipes, then it’s a pipe. You will have to raise all the neighbours to their feet, collect signatures and go to the utilities, with the requirement to repair the lines. It’s troublesome and not quick.
In our country and case of accidents, when the basement is completely flooded with sewage water, they do not fuss much, and in this case even more … But, no one prevents you from persevering. What to do if in our country, without a kick, they do not move?
HOW TO PREVENT THE APPEARANCE OF A STALE ODOR?
It is always better to do prevention than to get rid of the consequences urgently. So, what can not be done and what can be done to prevent fungus in the washing machine?
1. Do not store dirty laundry directly in the drum. You put it not always perfectly dry, and it may well begin to “fade”. And after such washing, the car can give off the smell two or three more times, and you will think that the problem is in some spare parts.
By the way, the fastest fungus “blooms” on the tissues that were washed before with a lot of air conditioner, and it is not thoroughly rinsed.
2. Do not overdo it with air conditioners. This is just the case when porridge oil – spoil. Try to purchase more or less high-quality chemistry, which is rinsed in one wash.
3. After washing, always leave the machine open. Of course, everyone knows this, but for some reason, not everyone does. After washing on the washing machine’s walls, the moisture left is enough to “breed” the fungus in a week, but it will be difficult to remove the smell.
4. No need to pour the powder into the tray! Pour it directly into the drum. From the ditches, the powder is never washed out thoroughly, especially when washing in cold water. And, if, to clean the tray in the machine with vertical loading is simple, then the ditch of the horizontal machine is almost out of reach. If the powder compartment is empty, then no fungus will start there. And, if there will be wet lumps of powder all the time, then you know, they will be covered with black spots.
5. Try to use cold water washing mode rarely. It’s not such a saving. But your things are not washed from excess powder, and the spare parts of the machine themselves are not washed during the washing process, which means that the fungus is not far off. And fungus not only smells disgusting, but it also kills you—however, the same kill and residues of powder, which you breathe daily.
We told Everything and even more about how to deal with the musty smell in the washing machine. We hope that our tips for elimination and care at home will be helpful to you and such a problem will not affect you again! Remember the primary working method – washing – with acid, and the rest – things are rare.