Who among us has not encountered a blockage in the pipes? And in this situation, it is not necessary to immediately call a plumber, because your efforts can do everything! However, in this case, you will probably question how to clean the pipes from clogging. In the article, you will find the answer to it.
A clogged sink is a problem.
First of all, let’s analyze the causes of the blockage; as a rule, there are only four of them:
- Getting into the pipes of foreign things of various sizes. It can be hair, pieces of food, shards, etc.
Often the cause of blockages is hair shreds.
- Incorrect installation of the pipeline. This case includes the use of cement mortar during installation, inadequate slope of the pipe.
The correct slope of the pipe is the key to the smooth functioning of the sewerage system.
- Poor care or lack thereof. Sewerage periodically needs to be checked and replaced by some elements; if this is not allowed, then. As a result, we get a blockage.
- A layer of growth. It is formed during the long-term operation of the pipe.
Long-term operation of pipes without cleaning leads to approximately such results.
Each of these causes can lead to a severe blockage. Consider that the longer you drag out time to clean, the more the situation will get worse.
Foul drain, so there is a blockage somewhere.
As a result, you can achieve not only that the water will not completely go away, but also there will be an unpleasant smell that is challenging to eliminate. But, despite these problems, the blockage can be eliminated with your own hands without much effort.
Inspection of the contamination site
We will not immediately panic and use any means or tools because we have not yet learned where the blockage was formed. Therefore, according to statistics, we start with checking the siphons because they are clogged in the first place.
And if you have a question: “Clogged sink in the kitchen what to do?”, then checking the siphon is one of the simple answers.
It is pretty simple to check it, and the whole process consists of the following stages:
- Put a basin or bucket under the siphon to prevent water leakage, and unscrew the lower removable cover.
We inspect the siphon.
- Inspect its condition and determine whether it needs cleaning. If his condition is terrible, and he is wholly clogged with dirt, then wash it in any way, whether a washcloth, a stick with a rag, etc.
- Do not forget to inspect the condition of the connecting pipes and corrugation (upper part of the siphon). Carefully review all elements and eliminate blockages.
After that, collect it back and try to turn on the water. If cleaning the siphon did not result, then it is safe to say that the blockage was formed in the drain system.
In this case, it will be a little more complicated, but it is quite possible. The price of such work as a plumber is not worth his efforts because there is nothing complicated.
If you have a sink installed in the bathroom, then do not forget to check its siphon, along with the kitchen sink.
Choosing the right way
A clogged sink will turn the kitchen into an ocean.
There are a lot of ways to eliminate the blockage, but all of them can be divided into two clear categories:
Each of them has its advantages and disadvantages, and each in its way is effective in some situations. Often, it is necessary to apply each method if the previous one did not give specific results.
Method 1. Mechanical removal of blockages
The mechanical method of elimination includes the use of third-party objects and tools to remove contaminants. In-home practice, only two are used: a plunger and a cable. I recommend each of them to have “armed” in your home.
The plunger is the most convenient, compact, and practical option. It perfectly copes with blockage in the sink or bathroom.
To use it correctly, it is enough:
- Pour water into the sink or bath and secure the rubber nozzle.
- If the sink has an overflow, then it must be closed with something. You can use regular fabric, press with your palm.
The overflow should be closed.
- Next, you need to use the handle, sharp progressive movements pushing it up and down. Inside the nozzle, a water column is formed, which will go through the resulting blockage.
- If the first time it did not help you, then repeat the procedure several times.
Couldn’t the plunger handle this blockage? Then it was time to use the cable.
Sewerage in apartments often has a closed system. Therefore, before eliminating the blockage, it is recommended to close all holes in all parts of the system, particularly all drains and overflows.
Sewer cleaning cable
A cable with a shaft is a more rigid and problematic method but more effective than a plunger. It will perfectly cope if there is a blockage of pipelines but requires physical effort.
Also, get ready for the fact that he will be all in the mud.
- Remove the siphon and send the end of the cable to the observation pipe.
- Scroll the shaft, gradually sticking the line more profound into the sewer.
- If you feel that the bar rests on a blockage, you need to start scrolling the post more intensively.
- After this operation, slowly stick the bar back.
Use of cable for sewer cleaning
Before starting cleaning with a cable, make sure that its handle is securely fastened and not damaged. Also, do not forget that the line must be rotated only in one direction. For example, if you rest them in some sewer area, smoothly spin them from side to side until they bypass it.
It is necessary to twist the cable only in one direction to prevent its refraction.
Such blockages can be removed with the help of a cable. But the photo is a very neglected case.
Method 2. Chemical method of purification
As you can see, mechanical means are a rougher option for cleaning the sewer. If you do not want to use them or have the necessary tools, you can purchase unique chemical solutions. They will help to remove the blockage due to the reaction of the components.
What is the most effective remedy? It depends on the degree of blockage.
There are a lot of such funds; it can be:
- Mr. Muscle,
- Luxus, etc.
Funds, as a rule, are poured into the drain.
Each of them has its degree of effectiveness, which you can evaluate only on your own experience. However, despite the different brands and their composition, they often have a similar system of application.
Of course, everything is written on their packaging, and this must be read first before use, but the most likely instructions for use are:
- It is necessary to apply them carefully because although they are harmless to the sewerage, they are harmful to humans. Therefore, first of all, it is required to wear rubber gloves.
Gloves in this process are a necessary thing!
- Remove water from the sink or bathroom, and pour or pour the product into the drain hole.
- Close the drain hole tightly with a plug. Also, do not forget to close the overflow hole, if any.
When a chemical reaction occurs, the chemical composition will begin to erode the blockage. After that, you have to wait for a certain amount of time, indicated on the package. After some time, you will be able to use the sewer again safely.
Cleaning the sink with chemicals
For the duration of chemical cleaning, try to avoid using sewers. Otherwise, the drug will not have time to do its job.
Each of these two methods has its effectiveness. Where the chemical method cannot cope, the mechanical process can help there, and vice versa. So try to use them to eliminate the blockage, because as you can see, there is nothing complicated in this.
Preparation of home chemistry for cleaning
Even though many chemicals can be found in stores, there is a possibility of their alternative at home. Using them, you do not have to suffer from cleaning the blockage in the pipe in the kitchen; you can immediately begin to act.
Effective in contamination of the sink baking soda
The first mixture is quite simple and consists only of soda, salt, and vinegar:
- Prepare one 100 gram cup of soda and about 50 grams of salt.
- Mix them and pour this mixture into the drain hole of the sink.
- Then pour vinegar about 50 grams and close the gap with a cork for 2-3 hours.
- After this time, open the drain and run it with 2-3 liters of boiling water.
Soda is quite an effective tool for cleaning pipes, and its use has been known for a long time. Cleaning with its help can be used not only to remove blockages but also simply for prevention.
Soda with vinegar will eliminate the blockage.
The second method is a little more expensive, and its effectiveness is very controversial.
It consists of only one ingredient – lemon or concentrated lemon juice.
Cleaning the sewer with lemon
- Cut 2-3 lemons into halves.
- Squeeze the halves into the drain hole so that the resulting juice immediately falls into it.
- Do not use the sink for several hours, and then pour 1-2 liters of boiling water into it.
An easy way to clean the clog in the sink
The formed citric acid should eliminate the blockage, and boiling water will complete this action.
The same methods can be used on the toilet, but, as a rule, the blockage in the sewer is removed through other elements.
As you know, there are a lot of ways to clean pipes. You can remove the blockage using both special tools and chemicals, including folk preparation. Their effectiveness can be very different, depending on the specific case.
But one of these methods should be able to eliminate the blockage by 100%, and most often, this helps cleaning with a cable with the subsequent use of a chemical agent. In the video in this article, you will find a more visual story on the topic. If there are any questions, I wait for them in the comments.