It would seem that such a question as to remove the smell of rotten meat from the refrigerator, sane and clean people should not arise at all. Instead, there should be no situations leading to such an outcome. Nevertheless, it is necessary to hear it quite often, and the reason for this is either their forgetfulness or flaws in the work of energy supply organizations.
In people who returned from vacation, such a reaction to the opening of the refrigerator is common.
Traditional methods of eliminating odor
Most often, this happens during the long absence of the owners of the house – vacations, business trips, weekend trips to the country. And reasonably common advice to people who discovered on their return rotten meat in the refrigerator and through the stinking apartment is to throw the refrigerator into the landfill because it is impossible to get rid of this smell.
But not everyone can afford such profligacy, and is it worth it? After all, there are many ways to get rid of the smell – when the meat in the refrigerator is rotten.
The rotten smell in the refrigerator appears due to the rotting of organic products, primarily meat and fish. They multiply anaerobic (capable of existing without oxygen) bacteria, the waste products of which exude an unbearable stench.
Of course, they do not live only on a spoiled piece of meat but “spread” throughout the refrigerator, but first of all, it is necessary to get rid of it and other products since they are most likely already infected. If you do not want the whole entrance to stink, it is advisable to take them out of the apartment, bury them, and not just go down into the garbage chute.
Before you get rid of the smell in the refrigerator after rotten meat, the equipment must be disconnected from the network, remove all its removable parts (shelves, boxes, containers), and thoroughly wash everything—first just water, and then a specially prepared solution.
Boxes and containers after washing should be held in cold water.
How to wash the refrigerator
Just warning: most likely, one wash will not be enough. It is especially strongly absorbed into plastic, rubber, and other porous materials. Moreover, in complicated cases, it takes several days and even weeks to completely solve the problem since it is tough to get rid of the rotten smell in the refrigerator if the products have lain in it for a long time.
Therefore, you will probably have to be patient and disinfect daily, using one of the solutions listed below, or all of them alternately.
- Soda solution. The preparation instructions are simple: two tablespoons of tea soda should be dissolved in one and a half liters of warm water.
Preparation of soda solution
- Vinegar Solution. Food vinegar is mixed with water in equal proportions.
- Solution with ammonia. It is added to the water in drops – 5-10 drops per liter.
- Lemon-vodka solution. It is necessary to squeeze the juice from a fresh lemon and add ten parts of vodka to one part of the resulting juice.
As you can see, all recipes are straightforward; they can be quickly and easily prepared with your own hands if there are no unique means at home.
It is unlikely that you will get rid of all the soaked smell after the above measures if the bacteria have already penetrated the unit. In this case, you will have to unscrew and wash everything unscrewed, paying particular attention to the tube and condensate container.
But not only the electrical appliance itself can smell. So, if the meat in the refrigerator is rotten – how to remove the smell, you will have to decide globally, processing the entire kitchen.
What measures should be taken?
- containers and boxes after washing, pour crumpled newspapers;
- Leave the refrigerator open and put in it absorbents that absorb odors well. This ability has soda, powdered activated charcoal, ground coffee, rice, black bread, citrus peel. Soda is put in open packs or poured on a saucer; bread is cut into small cubes. And citrus fruits can be cut into slices, remove the pulp, and pour rice or soda into them;
Activated carbon is an excellent absorbent.
- wash the kitchen – floors, walls, windows, cabinets, using disinfectant chlorine-containing agents;
- When the meat in the refrigerator is cold: how to get rid of the smell without constant or regular ventilation? This will have to be done even in frosty weather;
- You can also refresh the air by boiling in an open pot of water with vinegar. Another technique: heat the burner on the stove, turn it off, and pour salt on the hot surface or put a citrus crust;
- If possible, the refrigerator itself and all its filling would be good to take out on the street or the balcony until the smell is completely weathered.
But do not just wait for the fragrance itself to come to naught. This may not happen since it is impossible to remove the smell of rotten meat from the refrigerator if no measures are taken. Therefore, daily continue to wash it inside, using both homemade products and household chemicals.
Daily washing will speed up the process.
And in between “water procedures,” use odor absorbers.
Effective means to remove odor
Of course, there are more radical and effective methods to get rid of the smell of rotten meat in the refrigerator. To do this, there are special detergents, disinfectants, and absorbing unpleasant odors.
This drug exists in several versions – to remove the smell of tobacco, sweat, clothes, shoes, etc. We will help the one that is used to combat the effects of rotting products. OdorGONE is an ideal tool; it is used even in meat processing plants for processing freezers, pallets, cutting tables, and other equipment.
Professional deodorizing agent OdorGONE
If you do not know how to remove the smell of rotten fish from the refrigerator, it will solve this problem. It is enough to treat the inside of the unit with the drug and close it tightly for a day; for more significant effect, it is recommended to tighten the refrigerator with a film.
Then it will need to be washed and ventilated. If necessary, the procedure is repeated several times.
Absorbents and ionizers
Since the process of combating an unpleasant smell in the refrigerator can be delayed for a long time, and it is difficult to do without this unit, especially in the summer, some people decide to get rid of spoiled equipment and buy a new one. But its price is not small, so much a radical way out is not affordable for everyone.
But there is another solution that allows you to use the in-between device washes. These are special odor absorbers produced specifically for refrigerators.
We offer you a small overview of such products.
- Frau Schmidt scent absorber in the form of an egg that fits in a standard cell for chicken eggs. It is filled with coal, and its action lasts for 2-3 months.
The device is also a temperature indicator: the refrigerator is too warm if the upper white part is not equal to the bottom.
- Filters odor absorber, consisting of two replaceable filters, each of which lasts for two months, and a dispenser.
Filters know how to remove the rotten smell from the refrigerator
- Top House gel absorbers with silver ions. They not only fight odors but also provide an antibacterial effect.
Top House with lemon extract
- Aircomfort XJ-100 air ionizer is a battery-operated device. The active oxygen produced by it destroys bacteria and microorganisms, sterilizes the air.
Photo of ionizer for refrigerators
And there are a lot of such devices today. Ask about them from sellers in stores, and even better, buy in online stores – cheaper will cost. They will come in handy in any case, even to keep the refrigerator fresh.
No one argues that it is tough to get rid of the smell of rotten products in the refrigerator and the whole apartment. To do this, you need to spend a lot of time and effort. But if the unit is still relatively new and expensive, few people will want to throw it away without trying to do it.
We hope that our recommendations and videos in this article will help you cope with this challenging task. And leave your notes and questions in the comments.