When you opened the refrigerator door, did you hear an unpleasant smell? Something must be done about this urgently. Otherwise, all the products stored in it will be saturated with this mustiness and will have to be thrown away.
Let’s figure it out together!
The most common causes of an unpleasant odour in the refrigerator are:
- Unpackaged products. An unpleasant smell can also come from some fresh products that are not hermetically sealed.
- It is clogging of the drain hole. Periodic washing of the refrigerator must necessarily involve cleaning this hole as improvised means can be used, an ordinary cotton swab.
- New refrigerator. The smell of grease, metal or plastic is the natural smell inherent in new household appliances.
- Spoiled products. Perhaps the most common reason. A forgotten sandwich, a piece of sausage, sour milk in an unclosed bag, food residues that fell out of the plate, etc., can remind themselves of an unpleasant aroma.
- Faulty ventilation system. Failed equipment will not fulfil its obligations, contributing to the accumulation of foreign odours.
- The appearance of mould. The cause may be spoiled products and accumulated condensate, which increases the humidity in the refrigerator.
- Incorrectly set temperature in the refrigerator.
- Now let’s find out how to get rid of these smells.
WAYS TO ELIMINATE ODOR
The easiest and most effective way to get rid of unpleasant aromas is a thorough washing of the refrigerator.
Stand by! Let me guess. Did you want to do without a sink?
Without washing, only odour absorbers (which will be discussed later) can help to some extent, but they are, in our opinion, a half-measure.
We need to find the source of the wood. Find and neutralize!
So let’s continue.
- Disconnect the equipment from the electrical network, take out all the products, immediately throwing out the spoiled.
- We thoroughly wash all the walls, pallets, seals.
- It is allowed to use special household chemicals, household soap.
- Well, wash and dry all shelves, boxes, trays.
If the smell is too stable, and you do not want to use chemistry, you can use proven folk remedies:
- Vinegar. Dilute it with water in equal proportions and wipe the walls, shelves, seals, and boxes washed beforehand with a solution. It is necessary to leave the doors open for a while so that the smell disappears.
- Lemon juice. Dilute its tablespoon with alcohol in a ratio of 1: 10 or with water (1: 2). To consolidate the effect will help freshly peeled peel of any citrus.
- Ammonia. Per litre of water, add one spoonful of ammonia, wiping the resulting solution on all the insides of the refrigerator.
Now you know how to remove the smell from the refrigerator at home, but it is also essential to prevent the reappearance of unpleasant aromas.
The frequency of washing depends on the type of cooling system.
Equipment with the No Frost system should be treated 2-3 times a year, while a drip system will require similar monthly procedures.
Once again, spoiled products should be thrown away, and spilt juices, compote, milk, broths should be instantly wiped.
You can leave on a plate cracker of black bread or cut raw potatoes, periodically changing them.
Activated coal, hardened in the oven, or a cup of ground coffee (the most inexpensive) also tends to absorb foreign odours.
In the freshness zone (the lower tray for vegetables), the crumpled, thick paper will help to remove the musty smell.
You can use more modern methods.
Bactericidal lamp of ultraviolet glow effectively kills multiplying microorganisms, mould, and fungi, getting rid of unpleasant odour and prolonging the freshness of products.
Odour cleaners and absorbers are small devices whose purpose is to refresh the air in refrigerators.
There are models additionally equipped with the ionization function.
The principle of operation is similar to an air filter. Air flows are drawn inside the device and passed through the filter element.
Modern cleaners remove about 96% of all kinds of bacteria.
FACT! Modern cleaners remove about 96% of all kinds of bacteria. It is said that three hours of operation of the device can destroy even E. coli.
In parallel with bacteria, the source of unpleasant aromas and harmful fumes is also destroyed.
Regular operation of the device at times more effectively cope with the problem of should air than bread crusts and lemons.
Today, consumers are offered several varieties of absorbers:
- Balls with silica gel. You can either buy separately or use those that usually come with new shoes or appliances.
- Absorber with activated carbon. Removes excess moisture and absorbs ethylene secreted by vegetables and fruits, preserving their freshness for a long time.
- Gel absorber. Contains lemon extract and algae extract. Absorption of unpleasant aromas and air freshening occurs when the active substance evaporates. It acts twice as efficiently as its counterparts.
- Mineral salt crystal absorber. The crystal will need to be washed several times a month, removing the spent layer from its surface.
- Absorber-ozonizer. Effectively removes unpleasant odours, microorganisms, slowing down the process of rotting products. Equipped with a battery indicator.
Using these recommendations, you can eliminate unpleasant odours in the refrigerator and exclude their reappearance, prolong the freshness of stored products. Tips are easy to implement, do not require much time and effort.