The choice of the drying method depends on the degree of humidity of the product. Conventionally, wet carpets can be divided into three categories:
- 1 Can I clean without removing it from the floor?
- 2 How to refresh the carpet?
- 3 How to properly care?
- 4 Can I wash, and how?
- 5 How to remove wool and hair?
- 6 How to remove odours?
- 7 Can I whiten?
A glass of water was spilt on the palace, or a small area was wiped off with a wet brush. Such stains are the easiest to remove. It is enough to slick them with clean rags or paper towels.
The main thing is not to rub, grinding the pile, but carefully get wet on both sides. When the affected area becomes almost dry, it can be dried with a hairdryer (excellent airflow) or allowed to dry naturally;
Medium humidity palaces
This category includes products that have more than 20% of the surface wet. It is forbidden to dry such an area with a hairdryer and wipe with napkins.
To remove excess moisture, the easiest way is to take the carpet outside and allow it to dry naturally. If this is not possible, you need to dry the pile as much as possible with paper towels. Then open all the windows, turn on the air conditioner or fan.
Place next to the palace heating devices is not worth it; the carpet can be deformed from a sharp temperature change. But the heaters can be placed at some distance from the product and raise the temperature throughout the room. So moisture will evaporate faster;
Carpets can get utterly wet during the flood or after washing. In this case, you need to collect all the water from the surface with paper towels and wipe the floor under the palace.
The procedure will have to be repeated several times, as excess water will gradually flow out of the pile. It is desirable to treat the surface on both sides with a washing vacuum cleaner.
The unit will remove excess fluid, leaving the pile slightly moist. In this case, it will be possible to dry the product in the fresh air or leave it in a room with open windows or air conditioning turned on.
You can speed up the process with the help of an air dryer, but you should not buy this device for the sake of one case.
When drying in the fresh air, you need to ensure that direct sunlight does not fall on the pile. This can burn out the colour. The palace is dried by the base outwards.
Also, you can not dry carpets on clotheslines – this product can stretch and deform.
Can I clean without removing it from the floor?
Almost all types of contaminants can be removed without taking the carpet out of the apartment. The main thing is to choose the driest cleaning methods:
- special powders and foams for dry cleaning.
In this case, the pile after harvesting will remain dry or slightly wet. That will allow it to dry naturally.
These methods can remove not only light dirt but also quite tough stains, for example, clean the carpet of plasticine, wine or marker. The main thing is not to leave cleaning “for later” and not moisten the affected areas much.
If you want to clean the carpet on the wall without removing it, choose the compositions that can be applied to the pile from the spray bottle: vinegar, diluted ammonia, peroxide, lemon juice.
Usually, less dust and dirt is collected on wall carpets, so improvised means are enough for high-quality cleaning.
How to refresh the carpet?
The most budget way is to clean the carpet in the snow. The colors will become brighter; the snow will remove dust and give the pile a fresh aroma.
If you need to “lift” the pile, you can spray it from the spray bottle with a water conditioner for linen diluted in water. It will make the fibres softer and “fluffier”.
Popular household products: vinegar, lemon juice, peroxide and ammonia, also well update the appearance of the carpet. They remove the dust stuck to the fibres, refreshing the paints.
Homemade sorbents (soda, salt, starch) cope no worse. The main thing is to remove their excess from the pile carefully.
For the best effect, you can mix several components. For example, fill the pile with soda; after 10 minutes, remove it with a vacuum cleaner and sprinkle the carpet with vinegar from a spray bottle.
The acid will react with the remnants of soda, thereby bringing them and hidden dirt to the surface. After the pile dries, it is re-vacuumed, returning the carpet to its original appearance.
How to properly care?
Means and methods of care should be selected based on the composition and length of the pile. General recommendations include the following points:
- vacuum only in the direction of the bank (incredibly shaggy);
- knock out from the wrong side;
- dry, wash and knock out only on special “dryers” for carpets (not on fences and clotheslines);
- do not walk on the wet pile;
- vacuum according to the instructions (natural palaces with a specific composition can be vacuumed no more than one time per week);
- remove stains while they are “fresh”;
- every six months to turn the carpet 90 degrees (for uniform wear);
- use only soft brushes for cleaning;
- not to create “creases”;
- make sure that direct sunlight does not fall on the pile;
- thoroughly dry wet areas;
- follow the manufacturer’s instructions;
- regularly carry out deep cleaning (1-2 times a year).
With careful treatment and proper cleaning, even a budget product will serve for decades.
Can I wash, and how?
The answer to this question directly depends on several parameters:
- pile material;
- base type;
- types of glue;
- composition of paints.
Almost all semi-synthetic and synthetic carpets can be washed.
Woollen and jute are also not prohibited. But these products dry for a very long time. If the cleaning occurs in the hot summer and the product can be left for several days in the fresh air, wet cleaning will not hurt.
Cotton and viscose palaces tolerate moisture worst. From it, they lose their shape and become unusable.
To accurately determine whether it is possible to wash a particular carpet, you need to study its label carefully. The problem is that with prolonged use, it may not persist.
In this case, you need to check the effect of water and detergent composition on an inconspicuous area of the product. This is done in several stages. Initially, the impact on the water is studied.
A small area is moistened and left to dry completely. If the pile and the base have not changed their structure, the paints have not “floated”, you can check the reaction of the carpet to detergents.
To do this, the same area is re-moistened. The selected product is applied and left for 15-30 minutes (the time is set according to the instructions). Then, with the help of clean water and a soft brush, the detergent is removed from the experimental site.
If all the carpet components have well endured the inspection, you can proceed to wet cleaning.
It is desirable to wash and dry the palaces in a horizontal position.
In the wet form, the product weighs 2-3 times more than in the dry state. Under the influence of its gravity, the fibres can stretch, and the carpet is deformed.
It is more convenient to wash the paths using a mini-washer or garden hose. Hypothetically, you can carry out wet cleaning with the help of a regular bucket or watering can. But most shampoos and powders for carpets emit a lot of foam. Qualitatively rinse the pile manually (without Kercher or hose); it will be pretty tricky.
The process itself does not cause difficulties. All stages are logical:
- Pre-vacuum the carpet on both sides.
- Clean and prepare the working surface.
- Spread the palace on a flat surface and evenly moisten the pile.
- Dilute Vanish (or any other cleaning compound) according to the instructions and apply to the palace.
- Rub the carpet with a brush in the direction of the pile, paying particular attention to stains and heavily contaminated areas.
- Leave the detergent on the fibres for 10-20 minutes and repeat the cleaning.
- Rinse the carpet well with water and a brush (until the foam stops flowing from the product).
- It is desirable to dry the carpet in a horizontal state. If this is not possible, then it is necessary, at least until a semi-dry state, to keep it in a flat shape and then hang it on the dryer pile inside.
If the palace is very dirty, it is first erased from the base’s side, then turned over and repeated from the front side.
How to remove wool and hair?
Pet hair is a real scourge of all carpets. Especially if the palace with a long pile. A regular vacuum cleaner or broom is not able to remove hair and wool from the fibres. Chemical compositions are also powerless; you need to act mechanically.
The list of the best tools includes:
- Wide scotch tape. The sticky tape must be winded on the palm of your hand, glue composition outside. Hand with tape is carried out on the pile, cleaning it from wool and small debris. As the adhesive tape becomes dirty, it is replaced with a new one;
- Roller for cleaning clothes. An analogue of the previous method can be sticky rollers. Even long hair sticks perfectly on them. The only drawback is the higher cost. Cleaning one large carpet may require several rollers;
- Brush for cleaning carpets from animal hair. This device is designed specifically for cleaning textile surfaces. She can remove hair and wool not only from palaces but also from sofas, bedspreads, etc.;
- a Vacuum cleaner with a turbo brush. Not all units have a similar device, but its help in cleaning carpets from wool is invaluable. The rotating brush winds even the most extended hair on itself, thoroughly cleaning the pile. This method has only two drawbacks:
- such vacuum cleaners are quite expensive;
- from regular, intense exposure increases the wear of the palace;
- Wet brush. You only need a meeting of medium rigidity and a container with water for a budget method. The conference is regularly wetted, and it manually cleans the path in the direction of the pile. The technique is effective but quite time-consuming;
- Squeeze mop. It is used for carpets with a short pile. With a damp mop, the wool rolls off the mat. It is necessary to clean the hair in one direction, regularly lying the mop;
- Glass washing nozzle. The silicone part is moistened and carried out in the direction of the pile, tightly pressing it to the fibres. With proper execution, the scraper will pull all the wool behind it;
- MittensSuch a mitten, “combs” the carpet. Mittens or brushes for combing animals. Only relatively soft products (plastic, silicone, bristles) are suitable.
Metal brushes for long-haired dogs are better not to use; they will damage the pile.
When choosing a method, you need to consider the type of carpet and the type of wool. Cat hair is thinner and softer than dog hair, so that it can be removed with softer brushes. Lengthy human hair is more accessible to roll into lumps than a short coat of a cat or dog.
Given these points, you can significantly simplify the cleaning process.
How to remove odours?
Various aromas linger inside the pile for a long time. Significantly strongly absorb the smell of natural fibres. It’s not just the old dirty carpet that can smell. New and clean products can smell for a long time with the aromas of household chemicals or fresh paint.
Soiled palaces also emit unpleasant aromas, and often unpleasant amber is more difficult to remove than the dirt itself.
Smell after washing
Even if the carpet did not emit pronounced aromas before washing, they could appear after wet cleaning. Foreign odours can have several causes:
- Poor drying. This is the most common factor affecting the appearance of fragrances. Carpet with a dense and long pile for high-quality drying can take more than seven days. If you start using it until moisture is completely removed, you can feel a whole “bouquet” of aromas:
- wet pile (can smell and natural wool and synthetic fibres);
- residues of detergents;
- not completely removed contaminants;
- fresh dust stuck to wet fibres;
- Incorrect selection of detergent composition. The use of inappropriate means can lead to the fact that they will be impossible to remove qualitatively from the pile’s surface. Some types of household chemicals can emit specific flavours when in contact with certain types of fibres;
- Poor cleaning. Poor-quality cleaning of fibres can increase the smells from the “smelly” contaminants on the carpet (urine, vomiting, etc.).
Wet fibres “fragrance” is much more potent than dry ones. In most cases, repeated drying and ventilation of the product helps.
If the carpet is completely dried, and the aroma is not gone, then you can use one of the folk remedies:
- baking soda;
- table vinegar;
Soda is scattered on the palace, and after 15-30 minutes, they are collected with a vacuum cleaner. Vinegar or alcohol is diluted with water and sprayed on the carpet from a spray bottle.
If folk methods were too weak, you could use one of the professional means:
- Grass Carpet Foam Cleaner. Available in the form of foam, which is applied to the pile, and after drying, is collected by a vacuum cleaner;
- Pramod TAPI 3000. The drug is available in a wet powder, which must be evenly scattered on the carpet. When drying, it absorbs unpleasant aromas. Removed by a conventional vacuum cleaner;
- PROSPECT Carpet DryClean. Dry shampoo, applied to the fibres in foam, perfectly removes the entire “bouquet”.
Such compositions are pretty gentle and are not able to damage the pile and colour of the palaces.
The smell of a new carpet
New products may contain several volatile compounds that create a persistent specific aroma during the evaporation process.
Quality carpets smell less. On the label of such products, there are usually notes about the passed checks.
The cost of such palaces is naturally higher, so many prefer more budget models.
It is best to get rid of the factory aroma by careful ventilation. To altogether remove the odour may require from 3 to 7 days of continuous ventilation.
Living a week with windows open is not always possible. You can speed up the process by increasing the airflow (turning on the fan, air conditioner, etc.).
The palace is covered with a layer of soda to reduce the aroma collected by a vacuum cleaner after a certain period. The procedure can be repeated several times until the smell is eliminated.
It does not matter whether the child described the carpet or dog or cat urine appeared on the palace; first of all, you need to get rid of the unpleasant smell.
The easiest way is to get rid of a new spot. There are four ways to do this:
- Dry it with paper towels or dry rags. Then treat with a mixture of vinegar (1 part) and water (3 pieces). After the end of cleaning, the stain is covered with soda and left until completely dry. A vacuum cleaner removes the remains of soda;
- Excess moisture is removed with paper towels. The stain is rubbed with household soap. Traces of contamination are extracted with an alcohol solution or vodka;
- The mixture of ammonia and vodka eliminates the stain. The washing solution is a mixture of ammonia and vodka that eliminates the stagnation of potassium permanganate. This method is suitable only for dark floor coverings since potassium permanganate leaves noticeable stains, which are more difficult to remove than natural waste products.
In addition to folk remedies, you can use household chemicals, for example, Whiteness. But you need to consider the type of base so as not to damage the fibres.
Fresh stain must be “washed out”. For this, a mixture of water and washing powder, or household soap, is suitable. It is permissible to use suitable composition shampoos for carpets. At the same time, special attention should be paid to remove the boundaries of the spot so that the contour of waste does not remain.
Residues of moisture and unpleasant odour are removed by adsorbents in every house: soda, starch, etc.
The stain is abundantly filled with the chosen remedy for 20-30 minutes. Then the powder is removed with a vacuum cleaner and, if necessary, repeat the procedure until the smell is eliminated.
An important point: you can not use hot water for cleaning. It will increase the unpleasant amber during cleaning and make it inducible later.
Do not spray the palace with toilet water or other compositions with persistent aromas. They will not be able to eliminate the smell of dampness but only complement it. As a result, the “bouquet” will become even more intolerable.
The unpleasant smell goes away with the elimination of the root cause. It is good enough to dry the palace in the fresh air, and the unpleasant aroma will disappear.
In the cold and wet period of the year, you can use baking soda. This is the best adsorbent, perfectly removing all kinds of odours.
Professional powders also well eliminate unpleasant aromas. But after using them, the pile remains slightly moist. If he was already in a damp room, it could exacerbate the problem.
Cleaning formulations based on vinegar or alcohol will help remove the unpleasant smellandand and disinfect the pile, eliminating the nascent mould. They are applied to the carpet with a thin layer of spray.
Can I whiten?
Only completely white products can be bleached. If the carpet originally had a pastel shade or any patterns, it is unnecessary to whiten it. To give it a uniform colour will not work, and ugly spots will only aggravate the situation.
It is best to entrust such a delicate procedure to professional dry cleaners. If this is not possible, it is worth using professional cleaning products, for example, Chemspec. These compositions are pretty expensive but guarantee a quality result.
Slight yellowness, which can occur during operation, is easy to remove with the help of household appliances. Depending on the composition of the carpet, use different recipes:
- Two cups of cool water, two tablespoons of vinegar 9% and one cap of wool product care products. This composition is applied to yellowed areas from a spray bottle. After 15 minutes, it must be washed off with vinegar water and a soft brush;
- The pile is wiped with a sponge moistened in a mixture of 5 liters of water and 50 ml of hydrogen peroxide. It is advisable to use a white washcloth or brush so that it does not paint the palace;
- The carpet is treated from a spray bottle with a mixture of water (1 l), peroxide (5 g) and ammonia (2 g). After 10-30 minutes (depending on the degree of contamination), the composition is washed off with a soft brush moistened in clean, cool water.
Regardless of the chosen whitening method, the carpet must be carefully vacuumed on both sides before the procedure. This will help remove dust and small debris from the pile so that it is not accidentally rubbed into the fibres during the bleaching process.