The reason for the appearance of scale on the inner walls of the iron, equipped with the function of vaporization, is complex, salt-saturated water, which is used in the ironing process. To solve this problem, many models of irons provide the possibility of self-cleaning. Therefore, before you start cleaning the device, you should carefully study the instructions attached to it.
Effective folk remedies for removing scale formed inside the device include:
Carbonated mineral water with a hydrogen pH below 8 units, that is, having acidic properties:
- 200 ml of liquid is poured into the unit;
- turn on the iron, having previously set the vaporization mode;
- Holdover the sink or bathroom, pressing the steam ejection button until the water has completely evaporated.
This method is unlikely to help if the scale has accumulated a lot, but the equipment is appropriate and very useful after a year or two of operation.
- 1 cup of 9% solution is mixed with 1 liter of distilled or settled boiled water;
- fill the liquid tank of the device;
- include the function of vaporization;
- within a few minutes, iron an unnecessary piece of cloth or an old towel;
- please turn off the machine and leave it in a horizontal position until completely cooled.
- 25 g of powder is dissolved in 1 cup of settled boiled water;
- pour the composition into the tank of the unit;
- put the steaming mode on the switched-on device;
- release the jet of steam several times until the liquid evaporates.
- After cleaning with acid solutions, pure water is poured into the device and completely evaporated.
Solutions of vinegar and citric acid can not be poured inside the iron, but instead, apply the boiling method:
- in a baking sheet with high sides, pour the composition;
- Two sticks are placed on the bottom to ensure a gap between the base of the unit and the surface of the baking sheet;
- put a chilled iron on top, making sure that the liquid level reaches the plastic elements of the device without covering them;
- the baking sheet is heated on the stove, bringing the water to a boil, after which it is left to cool;
- the procedure is repeated 3-4 times;
- through the drain hole, pour the liquid that was in the tank of the iron;
- Rinse the inside of the apparatus with clean water and leave until completely dry.
To remove scale from the outside:
a solution of citric acid moistened cotton fabric;
place it on the working surface of the device;
include iron for 15-20 minutes;
after that, the sole is wiped with a clean napkin, and the remnants of scale from the holes for the exit of steam are removed with toothpicks.
How to clean the sole of the iron from soot folk remedies?
Modern industry produces home units for ironing with a working surface made of the following materials:
- stainless steel;
- Devices occupy a special niche with non-stick Teflon coating.
If there was trouble, and there was soot on the sole of the iron, do not despair. There are many proven ways to clean the affected surface with quite affordable means that will surely be at hand.
When choosing a processing method, it is important to consider what material the sole of the unit is made of to correct the situation and not to harm even more:
- for ceramics and Teflon coatings can be used exclusively liquid compositions that do not contain solid particles;
- fine abrasives can be used for aluminum and steel, but with great care and only in extreme cases.
Several popular ways to clean the sole of the iron with improvised means:
1. To get rid of new formations, a piece of household soap is perfect:
- first, they rub the contaminated areas, and then carefully treat with a soft cloth;
- You can rub soap on a grater, dissolve a tablespoon in a glass of water, apply the composition for 15-20 minutes on a warm working surface, and then wipe the sole with a damp cloth.
2. Acetic acid is used in different ways, depending on the degree of contamination:
- if it is insignificant, then wipe the affected area with a cotton pad moistened in a 9% solution of vinegar while not heating the device;
- In more severe cases, impregnate the unnecessary fabric with a composition of 2 tbsp. L vinegar and 1 cup of water, after which it is ironed with a unit heated to medium temperatures;
- in a challenging position, mix a 70% solution of acetic acid with ammonia in equal parts and treat the heated surface, squeezing a tampon impregnated with an acidic composition with pliers;
- the sole of ceramics, for which the use of alkaline or abrasive agents is unacceptable, can be cleaned with vinegar mixed with water in a ratio of 1: 3;
- Teflon coating is cleaned by ironing with a heated iron. The matter was moistened in a 70% solution of vinegar.
IMPORTANT! Working with acid, observing precautions, using a protective mask, and open a ventilation window.
3. An ordinary paraffin candle wrapped in a cotton napkin is carried out on the heated sole of the unit, slightly pressing in particularly affected places.
At the same time, the paper is laid at the bottom, and the device is held at an inclination so that the molten paraffin, flowing, does not fall into the holes for steam.
4. A 3% hydrogen peroxide solution with a cotton pad is treated with a stiff sole, wiping the contaminated areas with effort.
5. White toothpaste (not in the form of a gel) is squeezed on a still-warm surface and first cleaned with a soft brush and then wiped with a damp cloth or sponge.
6. Food foil is laid out on the table and ironed with a heated iron. As a result, the soot remains on the thin metal. Soiled sheets are replaced with new ones until all the dirt is removed.
7. Acetone, nail polish remover, or paint solvent will help remove burnt plastic from the cooled base:
- a piece of cotton wool moistened in the product is applied to the affected area for 3 minutes;
- using force, rub the surface;
- residues are removed with a damp cloth.
The method is excellent for Teflon coatings.
8. The new matchbox helps clean the stainless steel base:
- the unit is heated and turned off from the outlet;
- apply the box with a coated side to the hot sole and very carefully to avoid scratches, treat the surface;
- the remnants of soot are removed with a soft napkin.
9. The burnt layer is well removed with an alcohol solution of boric acid, chlorhexidine, or vigil, which can be purchased at the pharmacy:
- a cloth moistened in one of the drugs, carefully wipe off the affected areas;
- the remnants of the product are removed with a damp sponge.
You can use ethyl alcohol, but the process will be long and require considerable effort.
10. Soda or refined salt.
The use of abrasive materials is permissible only for metal:
- soda is mixed with water until a mushy mass is obtained, which is applied to a napkin and gently wiped the burn sites, and then remove the remnants of the product with a damp sponge;
- Salt is wrapped in a piece of cotton fabric and rubbed with this bundle the heated sole of the apparatus.
You can iron without pressure with the most heated iron with the included vaporization function of salt, poured a dense layer on a sheet of paper.
To remove persistent stains, it is recommended to prepare a vinegar-salt mixture by combining the ingredients in equal quantities, holding on low heat until the crystals are completely dissolved, and treating the surface with a cloth moistened in the composition wipe with a damp sponge. Performing the procedure, it is necessary to wear rubber gloves.
If, due to a violation of the temperature regime, a piece of the burnt matter remains on the working surface of the iron, it must be removed before applying one of the methods of removing soot.
To do this:
- the device is heated to low temperatures – so that the surface becomes warm and the fabric begins to soften;
- a wooden blade or a scraper made of Teflon (so as not to damage the surface) carefully scrape off the burnt material;
- turn off the device and use tweezers to remove the remnants of the fabric from the holes for the output of steam;
- Then cleaning is carried out by one of the methods suitable for this type of sole.
Unique means for cleaning the sole from soot
A prudent hostess should solve a possible problem with contamination of the working surface of the device and purchase ready-made means specially designed for these purposes in the trading network.
1. Pencil for cleaning the sole of the iron, with which you can make gentle cleaning of any material without scratches and damage.
They act as follows:
- the surface on which the processing will be carried out is covered with paper or old unnecessary fabric;
- open the window so that the room is well ventilated;
- wear rubber gloves and a mask to protect the respiratory tract;
- the device is heated to the temperature indicators specified in the instructions (usually 140 ° C);
- pencil, in shape and size similar to cylindrical chalk, make circular movements on the heated surface, without pressing too much so as not to break the stick;
- the pencil begins to melt, dissolving the soot;
- impurities are removed by ironing dense cotton fabric;
- with a persistent burn, the treatment is repeated several times;
- then press the steam function button, releasing the jet several times;
- iron the fabric again;
- So that the remnants of the pencil completely evaporate, leave the device turned on for 5-6 minutes.
2. Compositions specially designed to remove soot from the working surface of the iron:
- Top House, the use of which provides the most effective and at the same time gentle cleaning;
- Topper is an utterly non-toxic tool that removes the most persistent burnout;
- Magic Power, designed to clean Teflon coatings.
3. Spray “Sif Anti-fat” has a broad spectrum of actions, including successfully removes soot:
- the composition is applied to the cooled surface;
- leave for 15 minutes;
- with the help of a kitchen sponge, remove dirt;
- wipe the base of the iron cleanly with a damp cloth.
4. Spray “Shumanit” quickly eliminates synthetics stuck to the sole:
- the product is sprayed on the surface;
- stand for 3 minutes;
- wipe the plane with a clean, dry cloth.
5. Sponges made of abrasive coroplast effectively cope with fresh burn, but they should not be used for models with non-stick coating.
6. Special mats are suitable for cold cleaning of all types of soles. To do this, drive an iron on a mat placed on a flat surface, wipe the base with a damp cloth and perform a self-cleaning procedure.
Prevention and precautions
To protect the device from the formation of carbon deposits will help comply with simple rules of operation:
- Do not apply the ironing procedure for things that have already been worn and washed after that so that dirt particles do not stick to the iron’s sole, which does not lead to soot formation.
- Use a special ironing board so that in the process of work on the surface of the ironed products do not get foreign materials.
- At the end of the ironing process, wipe the working surface of the unit with a napkin, on which a weak aqueous solution of citric acid is applied.
- If the device is equipped with a self-cleaning function, apply it with the frequency specified in the instructions for the device. In the absence of this function, use only water with a high degree of purification or distilled.
- Expose with the help of the regulator temperature regimes corresponding to those indicated on the labels of things. This is especially true for synthetics and delicate materials.
Optimal temperature indicators and other recommendations for safe ironing of products from different fabrics:
- polyester – 60–100 °C;
- silk – 70 °C, without the use of the vaporization function and performing the procedure through a thin napkin
- cotton (but not gauze);
- cotton – 175–180 °C;
- calico – 150-170 ° C, ironing from the front side;
- linen — 185–200 °C;
- from viscose – 110 ° C, making ironing from the wrong side and not releasing steam;
- wool – 120 ° C, carrying out the procedure through a wet cotton cloth.
Patterns and embroidery should be ironed from the wrong side and only through gauze.
Careful attention to the use of the iron – a small but essential home assistant – will ensure the maintenance of the device in cleanliness and constant readiness for work. This approach will help avoid unpleasant surprises due to a sudden breakdown, extend its service life and save your favorite things from damage.