From the first day of buying a microwave oven, I use a unique lid, which automatically covers everything, even defrosting meat, which a priori can not splash the walls. Therefore, the periodically appearing stains of fat and dirt in it are an inexplicable mystery to me. But, wherever they come from, they are, which means that you have to decide how to clean the microwave inside from fat from time to time.
I’ve always used melamine sponges, but they somehow ended abruptly. So in anticipation of a new batch with Aliexpress, I choose another way. Join us if it’s relevant to you.
In order not to stand in confusion at the chumazy stove, please choose one of the proposed ways to clean it.
Melamine sponge perfectly copes with dirt and grease.
I’ll start with them, as I didn’t know about some. I suspect I’m not alone.
No, I knew that the inner surface should not be scraped with a knife, metal brush, or washcloth. But, in addition, the need for such drastic measures has never arisen …
… because we didn’t bring the microwave oven to this state.
But, it turns out, the instruction prohibits doing the following things:
- Use abrasive cleaning powders. In which case, I would, without hesitation, clean the stove with some Pemolux, and even the reverse, hard side of the dish sponge. But you can’t! Because a skinny layer of wave-reflecting coating is applied to the inner walls, which is easy to damage.
You can use only sprays, liquid products, soft sponges, and rags
- You also need to ensure that water does not get into the ventilation holes on the walls.
Moisture ingested can lead to breakage.
What can not be done is clear. So now let’s see what can and should be done to make the microwave clean and fresh again.
Washed to shine surfaces
All known ways to wash a microwave oven
Fortunately, this necessary device is not as intensely dirty as the stove. But if you do not wash it for a month (provided you use the lid), it becomes a difficult task. It is better not to start and wipe the inner surfaces at least once a week.
We use special means if the moment is missed and the fat has dried and “boiled,” there is nowhere to go.
Do not forget; cleaning powder can not be used!
Method 1 – special means
I’ll start with my favorite melamine sponges. I buy cheap on Aliexpress – about 300 rubles for a hundred pieces. One sponge is enough to clean the microwave outside and inside a couple of times.
Who does not know: these sponges act like an eraser, erasing dirt from surfaces, but at the same time, they are erased. But, honestly, they wash the fat reluctantly, so I try not to run.
Sponges cope with this situation without any problems
And I use them solely out of dislike for any chemistry. Of course, after the main cleaning, everything is wiped with a damp cloth.
Melamine sponge before use…
… and after
Since the price of one sponge is only about three rubles, it is not a pity to throw it away even after one application.
If you have nothing against chemistry, you can use dishwashing liquid – it perfectly dissolves fat. Or a special tool in the form of a spray.
The spray is more convenient, as it is easier and faster to apply
Liquid products and gels are first applied to a wet sponge or napkin, wiping all inner surfaces. Regardless of the type of drug used, it should be left for 10-20 minutes to work, and then rinse it off several times with clean water and wipe dry.
The Final Touch
I don’t use these methods because I’m not sure that chemistry can be qualitatively removed with just a damp cloth and no running water, as we do with dishes. But I do not urge anyone to do the same; here, everyone is free to decide for himself.
Four ways to clean with home remedies
Surely, there is soda, mustard, vinegar, laundry soap, and citric acid in every house.
All this together or separately can be used to clean the microwave oven.
- Soda and vinegar for the microwave are the main ingredients for the preparation of the cleaning composition. First, it is necessary to add a little water to the two parts of the soda – so much so that after mixing, a thick gruel is obtained. Then two parts of table vinegar are added to it.
- Everything is mixed in the process of which acid and alkalis react to form a foam. So it is applied with a sponge to the microwave’s walls, close it and leave it to act for 20-30 minutes. After that, the dried and absorbed fat mixture is washed first with a damp sponge, then with a soft wet and, finally, dry cloth.
Application of cleaning foam
- If the stains are quite fresh, it is easy to remove them with lemon help, cut them in half, and rub the stained surfaces with a slice. It didn’t work out right away – you can smear it with lemon juice again and leave it for an hour. After that, the fat softened by acid can be easily removed with a damp sponge. Well, the smell in the oven will be more pleasant than after processing with vinegar.
Two in one: cleaner and freshener
- With the advent of modern household chemicals, acting quickly but containing many harmful substances, we undeservedly forgot about ordinary laundry soap. But it copes well with most pollution.
- Before cleaning the microwave at home with soap, they need to rub the wet sponge well and apply the resulting foam to the inner walls. Then – as usual: leave for 15-20 minutes, closing the door, then rinse until the foam disappears and wipe dry.
The best soap is this, on which “72%” is embossed.
- You can enhance the action of individual ingredients, combining them into one tool. For example, I like the mixture of laundry soap, soda, and mustard.
- It is done as follows:
- half a bar of soap is rubbed on a coarse grater;
- is filled with boiling water and put on fire;
- when the mass becomes homogeneous, remove from the heat and slightly cool;
- then add two tablespoons of soda and mustard powder;
- Mix thoroughly.
As you know, mustard copes with fat perfectly. And to make the resulting product smell pleasant, you can still add a few drops of flower or citrus essential oil to it. The principle of use is the same: apply, leave for a while, rinse.
In the photo, this is the most home remedy. They can wash and do dishes.
Store soap-soda-mustard mixture in a tightly closed jar – dries quickly.
Five ways to clean with steam
I have a steam cleaner. Soften the old dried splashes of what was once food, can be hot steam. I periodically pull the oven with them, but I do not dare to microwave since I did not find whether this can be done.
But cleaning with steam, which generates the stove itself and heating the water inside itself, was effective. To do this, you need to pour water into the jar, put it in the oven and turn it on for 5-7 minutes at maximum power.
Periodically it would help if you looked so that all the water does not boil
The door should be opened not immediately after turning off the timer but after waiting fifteen to twenty minutes. The walls are wiped off much easier than without steam treatment, but still not good enough if the dirt is strong.
You can enhance the effect by using already known home remedies. But they need to be added directly to the water intended for vaporization.
Before you clean the microwave with soda and vinegar, think it is easier to use them in this way?
- Vinegar essence on a glass of water needs three tablespoons.
Ordinary table vinegar can be diluted in half with water
- You can add 3-4 tablespoons of soda and stir until dissolved for the same amount of water.
The solution acts similarly but saves you from the specific smell that is inevitable when boiling vinegar.
- Not just clean, but also remove unpleasant odors from the microwave will help citric acid.
One sachet of 20 g per glass of water is enough.
- Replace citric acid can be a whole lemon, cut into slices or circles.
Pre-you can squeeze the juice from the lemon into the water.
- But to the statement that instead of lemon or citric acid, you can use any crusts from citrus fruits, I am doubtful. I have not tried it myself yet, but I think that in comparison with ordinary water, such a solution will not differ in any way.
In addition to the pleasant aroma, of course.
Using any of these methods, it is better not to go into the microwave immediately after its shutdown but to wait half an hour – let everything get wet well. My walls were easily washed with just a cloth after applying lemon water. But, again, I do not bring them to the state where the scathing of food covers the entire surface.
Still, the microwave cover is a great thing. Unfortunately, I suspect that my stove gets dirty in those rare times when it is used not by me but by someone from a forgetful household.
Or when the lid is not enough to completely close the product lying on the tray. Well, not through the hole to remove the steam fly all these fat splashes?
But instead of the stove, you often have to wash the lid. But my dishwasher does a great job with it.
Outside, the microwave does not get dirty, but periodically you need to wash both the outer walls and the rear grille, which accumulates dust.
The final touch is the gloss on the façade
Depending on the degree of contamination, I use either just a damp cloth or a spray cleaner.
Choice of cleaning method depending on the inner coating
The inner coating of modern microwave ovens is of three types:
- stainless steel.
Nothing new – cooktops are also different, and they also have to apply certain methods and means for cleaning, depending on the type of coating.
- Enameled. Microwaves with enameled walls are the most common and inexpensive. The enamel applied to the furnace walls forms a very smooth, non-porous surface, which is easy to clean with your own hands. But the enamel layer is quite thin, it is easy to scratch, so it is not recommended to use abrasives and hard brushes.
- Over time, under the influence of hot steam, such a coating can turn yellow and lose strength. In addition, the weakest point of such stoves is the bottom of the chamber under the tray: if liquid accumulates there, then due to the mechanical impact of the rollers, the enamel will quickly be absorbed.
The result is rust. To prevent this from happening, the bottom should be wiped dry after using and washing the oven.
- Ceramic. In principle, dense and complex ceramics are not afraid of abrasives, but they can be damaged by an accidental blow or fall of a heavy object – despite the strength, the coating is quite fragile. On the other hand, furnaces with such a coating are the most expensive, and it is easiest to care for them since it is perfectly smooth.
Furnace with ceramic inner coating
- Stainless. The most capricious coating is made of stainless steel. Fat quickly sticks to it, which is difficult to clean. The difficulty lies in the fact that in addition to abrasives that leave visible scratches on a glossy surface, acids can not be applied to it, which are the cause of dark spots and stains.
Therefore, it is possible to wash such a microwave inside only with special means for stainless steel or use one of the steam methods.
But stainless steel is not afraid of moisture and high temperatures.
I think all the other nuances of operation are described in the manufacturer’s instructions. It would help if you read it not after the appearance of problems but before installing and first turning on the device.
From any contamination, if desired, you can get rid of
I often notice lately that many of my friends are gradually returning to the “grandmother’s” means for cleaning the house. I do not think that this is due to the high cost of finished household chemicals. Rather, with increasingly appearing allergic and skin diseases of the household.
I am also concerned about this point, so almost all the methods of cleaning the microwave described and shown in the video in this article are liked for their harmlessness. Share them in the comments if you know any other methods that allow you to quickly and efficiently wash your home mini-stove.