Dum pukht food is all about aroma. It’s a process of slow cooking generally in a round, heavy bottomed pot. It is cooked sealed and over a very slow flame .This method is tapping the steam to retain the aroma and authentic flavor.
Soya chunks are nutritious addition to any meal.
Soya chunks are rich in protein, low in fat, diabetic friendly ,decrease the risk of heart attack, good for weight watcher & 100 % vegetarian. These nuggets are normally tasteless by themselves. Nuggets are ready to absorb any type of aroma. Put this in any flavored gravy, they will absorb the flavors.
Soya nuggets are my all time favorite. My hubby is a big fan of soya nuggets and he can have this in any form.
I made this pulao in the dum pukht method. This recipe is very easy even for the beginners. It is full of flavors and very very tasty.yes the ingredients are more,to make the pulao tasty and flavorful.
So let’s start with this mouthwatering dish.
For Soya gravy:
- Soya chunks 1 cup
- Onion 1 no (make paste out of it)
- Ginger garlic paste 3 tbsp
- Tomato puree ½ cup
- Garam masala ½ tsp
- Coriander powder ½ tsp
- Cumin powder ½ tsp
- Chicken masala ½ tsp
- sugar a pinch
- salt as per taste
rice preparation :
- basmati rice 1 ½ cup
- bay leaf 1 no
- cloves 2 no
- peppercorn 2 no
- cardamom 1 no
- cinnamon 1/2” pc
for tempering :
- cardamom 2no
- cinnamon 1” piece
- black cardamom 1
- star anise 1
- cloves 2
- mace a little
- oil 4tbsp
for the dum :
- medium sized onion 1 no (sliced & fried till golden browned)
- coriander leaves 2tbsp
- mint leaves 2 tbsp
- biryani masala/garam masala 1 tbsp
- little chapatti dough or aluminium foil
METHOD OF PREPARATION ::
- Wash and soak basmati rice in sufficient water.(normally 5 to 6 times more)
- soak the soya chunks in hot water with little salt.
- After 5 minutes squeeze out the excess water from chunks and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan & fry these chunks till all the moisture evaporate.
- Remove from heat and keep aside.
- In the same wok heat oil and add pinch of garam masala,stir with a flat spoon and add onion paste .fry till it turns brown in colour .Add ginger garlic paste now. Fry for some time, add salt,turmeric powder,chilli powder and mix well.
- Cook till masala leaves side of the pan. Add tomato puree ,cumin and coriander powder and rest of garam masala,fry well.
- When the raw smell of tomato goes add soya chunks, mix with the fried masala .Now add the chicken masala . Mix well. Mix for 2-3 minutes .keep this in medium flame.
- When it’s cooked properly remove from the flame and keep aside.
- Strain the rice in a strainer and keep it ready .
- In a pan boil sufficient water with enough salt. Add all the whole masala written under rice preparation.
- Taste the water, it should tastes salty.
- Let the water boil properly. Add strained rice .stir with a spoon .let the rice boil.
- Cook till rice is 60% done.
- Now strain the rice in a colander.
- Finely chop mint leaves and coriander leaves .Mix all the ingredients with mint and coarinder leaves written under dum preparation and keep aside.
- Heat a biryani pot or you can take a heavy bottomed pan,either a aluminium vessel or a non stick one.it should have a tight lid and with heavy bottomed so that pulao will not stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Divide rice into 3 parts,divide soya gravy into two parts.and be ready for assemble the pulao.
- Add oil to the biryani pot.Add all the whole garam masala written under tempering. switch off the flame . Add add first part of rice then pour one part of chunk gravy.Add little brown onion mix and again add second part of rice.
- Now add rest of the chunk gravy.then repeat with third part of rice.spread it evenly add rest of the brown onion mix on the top.sprinkle little water on it.
- Now tightly put the cover and seal the edges with chapatti dough or you can seal the edges with aluminium foil then press the lid so that steam will not excepe.
- I always prefer chapatti dough,I feel its ok for me.
- heat an iron tawa on and carefully place the pulao pot on that. Keep the flame high for 5 minutes then lower the flame. Keep it for 20-30 minutes.
- After half an hour remove the pot from the iron tawa , give rest for 10 minute.
- carefully cut the dough with a help of a knife and open the lid.
- Now enjoy the aromatic pulao with raita
- yes,its the same process of biryani.thats why this pulao is aromatic and tasty,
- biryani masala can be replaced with little garam masala.
- take the heavy bottomed pan ,prepare the soya chunk gravy first. after finishing the gravy the par cooked rice can be added to the same pan and dum can be prepared with same pot. it will give the same result.
- sprinkle little kewda water on top ,it will give superb aromaa to the pulao.