Happy Ganesh chaturthi Everyone !!! Lets welcome Lord Ganesha on his birth Anniversary. Like every year this year also Lord Ganesha has come on the earth and bestows people with lots of desirable blessings. As God Ganesha is the supreme god of Hindus, people of India believe that he removes all obstacles and problems from their lives. He is the creator of happiness in everyone’s life. People in India always offer prayers to Lord Ganesha before starting any new work to overcome all obstacles and this is the reason he is also known as vighana vinayak(vighana harta).
Ganesh chaturthi is the highly preferred Hindu festival, which is celebrated on the fourth day of Hindu luni-solar calendar month every year with great enthusiasm and joy. This festival is celebrated as Lord Ganesha’s birthday who is also known as Vinayak a.k.a Elephant headed God. Let’s know something more about this 10 days long festival…
Lord Ganesha has 108 different names and is the most worshiped god in hindu culture. He is popular in all parts of the country and worshiped by many communities, especially children, as the God of knowledge and wisdom. Ganesha is the Lord of art, science , and prosperity. He is honored at the start of every ritual and ceremony. He’s widely and dearly referred to as Ganapati or Vinayaka.
It is celebrated in different manner in different states throughout the country. People wait for this festival eagerly. On this day they bring an idol of Lord Ganesha to home and celebrate by worshiping in their way. When Ganesha come to home, he brings wisdom, prosperity & happiness and when goes back after 10 days, take away all the problems and obstacles with him. The celebration varies from 1 to 10 days, depending upon the individual or traditions. This festival is not confined to temples only but is celebrated in schools , colleges, mandaps, offices, everywhere……
Though widely celebrated but Ganesh Chaturthi has something special to watch in Maharashtra. Maratha manoos (Maratha people) celebrate this festival with full devotion and faith in a grand manner. Their celebration starts almost 2 months before and mammoth idols of Lord ganesha are made, decorated and painted beautifully. Not only in maharashtra, Vinayak chaturthi is also very special in all southern states of India.
Devotees do variety of preparations during this festival to make Lord Ganesha happy, like various type of modaks, coconut ladoo , Til ke ladoo , Namak Pare and many more. Now-a-days, Ganesha Chaturthi is observed as a National Festival to remove the inequality among people of Brahmins and non-Brahmins. People see off Lord Ganesha on 11th day with all the Hindu rituals and traditions which is known as Ganesha visarjan. If anyone really wants to explore real India then this ritual of Ganesh Visarjan is a real treat for him. People gather in large numbers and arrange long procession to see off the lord and put the Lord’s idol in water. They will again wait for 1 year to welcome Lord Ganesha with lot of love and jolliness.I prepared this Mawa Gulabjamuns to welcome lord Ganesha this year. Vinayak chaturthi is also an important festival of our family where each and every member welcome Ganapati in a special manner. Last year I prepared Bread Gulab Jamun, Besan ke ladoo, carrot kalakand & Mysore pak . This year we are welcoming Gannu bhaiya with these delicious mawa gulabjamuns. As every year Ganapati will bring lots happiness for us and goes after removing all the suffering.
|Prep Time||10 minutes|
|Cook Time||25 minutes|
- 200 gram mawa (khoya)
- 3 tbsp soft cottage cheese (paneer)
- 3 tbsp All purpose flour * see notes
- 3 no cardamom (deseed and make powder)
- 1/8th tsp Baking Soda
- Oil / Ghee for frying
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1/4th tsp cardamom powder
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp Rose water
- Before processing keep the mawa in room temperature for 2-3 hours (if refrigerated) .
- Start by preparing the sugar syrup, for that combine sugar and water in a sauce pan.
- Bring it to boil in high flame, when contents come to boil, simmer the flame for 8-10 minutes.
- In the mean time finely grate the mawa .
- If required grate for 2-3 times (see notes) till it turns smooth.
- Grate the cottage cheese and knead it well so that it become smooth.
- Combine grated mawa, mashed paneer, all purpose flour , cardamom powder and baking soda in a mixing bowl.
- Start kneading using your palm and make a soft dough.
- Lets Check it. we can check it in two steps.
- 1. By making a ball , the ball can be made without a single crack. Then it is ready.
- 2. Heat oil, the oil should be medium hot. Leave that ball in the hot oil, flip it continuously.
- 3. The ball can be fried without splatters , else we need to add 1 more tbsp of maida.(see notes)
- Check the sugar syrup now.
- Take a little syrup in a dry plate, cool it a bit.
- Take that syrup in between your index finger and thumb, stretch it apart
- If it is forming one string the it is perfect sugar syrup.
- Add cardamom powder and lemon juice, switch off the flame.
- Returning to the Jamuns, make equal sized balls out of the prepared dough.
- Heat oil / ghee in a pan.
- It is very important that the oil should be medium hot.
- Add jamuns one by one and fry in low flame flipping them in regular intervals. Flipping is very important to ensure even frying from all the sides
- Once they became golden brown in colour , remove them from oil and drop them into sugar syrup.
- Gently press the jamuns so that they ll be soaked in sugar syrup .
- Leave them for overnight so that jamuns will absorb the suagr syrup and became soft and juicy from inside.
- It is better to be consumed after 2 days.
- I used milk misty khoya which is only available here and gave me superb result.
- As khoya quality varies, it is very important to make the khoya soft before kneading. So grating is only option.
- If your khoya quality is good then grate only for once.
- Using this recipe you ll get perfect Gulabjamuns if your Khoya quality is good.
- Quantity of all purpose flour depends on Khoya quality, so testing the balls is a must.
- After adding all purpose flour to the kneaded dough taste again , if Jamuns are frying without puffing up the sides, go ahead and make all the balls out of it.
- Ghee can be used for frying the Jamuns, few uses Vanaspati though.
- I didn’t have patience so I took the picture after 4 hours of making Gulabjamuns.
- After a day, the jamuns will be super soft and melt in mouth.