Who loves oranges like me. orange is a wonder fruit, isn’t it ? The colour and its natural citrusy flavor is heavenly. Since childhood we love oranges. Who remember peeling up the skin and gulping up one by one slices of oranges ? Me too love the aroma when mum was squeezing up the oranges while making orange juice.
Still remember my mum’s special orange lassi and orange cake. Though I have tried many verity of orange cakes but nothing can be comparable with my mum’s recipe. I thought many times to share my mum’s special orange lassi, but every time we bought oranges , its finished with orange juice. Must try eggless orange cuppies, eggless orange cake. if you are looking for any fusion dish using orange then try my white chocolate & orange mousse , sapodilla orange mousse or orange creme caramel (eggfree).
It’s my 3rd cake which I made with orange juice. First I started making this cake with eggs, but gradually I added orange juice and then custard powder. After a lot of trial and error, I finally came up with such perfect and pillow soft cake. Wanna a slice ???? Really I wish I could share a piece with you, it’s so soft like pillow and loaded with the naughty citrusy flavor .
|Prep Time||10 minutes|
|Cook Time||30 minutes|
- 1 cup All purpose flour
- 3 tbsp Custard powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup Thick curd
- 6 tbsp Orange juice
- 1/4th cup Oil / butter
- 2 tsp Baking powder
- 2 pinches salt
- 1 & 1/2 tsp orange zest
- Preheat the oven at 180c for 10 minutes.
- Grease a 8” cake tin with oil , keep aside.
- Combine all the dry ingredients, i.e. all purpose flour, pinch of salt, custard powder and baking powder.
- Sieve thrice from a height, ensure that everything mixes well.
- Combine oil and sugar in a mixing bowl.
- Beat using a electronic mixture for 1-2 minutes, till both combine well.
- Add curd, orange essence and beat for a minute more.
- Add zest along with orange juice , beat for few seconds.
- Add dry ingredients in batches and fold with a spatula.
- Pour this batter in greased tin and tap 2-3 times.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 30-35 minutes till top seems light golden colour .
- insert a toothpick in the middle of the cake, if it came out clean, remove from the oven.
- cool it in wire rack
- I use fine grains of sugar, that’s why I beat it directly with the oil.
- If you have bigger grains of sugar then powder it first.
- Adding tooti-fruty in this cake is a good idea, I didn’t add cause my toddler didn’t like.
- Mix an extra tbsp of flour with a handful of tooti-fruty then fold with cake batter before adding flour.
- if cake batter seems dry then you can add few more tbsp of orange juice.