Sharing a meal on the dining table with friends and family and spending valuable time with them, is one of the most important things we can do today. We all love gathering of near and dear ones at our place. It is also a good way to socialize with neighbors and people around us.
When it’s time to party, I forget about diet… Party means full on masti, lot of enjoyment . Although a party is about the people and conversation, party at home also brings a little stress to the host as she will be confused in deciding the menu . I always plan the menu before 3-4 days and try to keep it simple.
Chicken 65 is a spicy , deep fried chicken dish which is usually prepared by marinating chicken pieces with red chili paste, spices , eggs and curd. This can be prepared with both boneless and with bone chicken pieces. Fried green chilies, curry leaves play a vital role in this dish. It is served with sliced onion and lemon wedges. For me this is a perfect party starter for kids and adults too.
65 dishes were born in 1965 in famous Buhari Hotel,Chennai. This dish is a pride dish of Tamilnadu. I read it somewhere that “Chicken 65 is alleged to be a dish introduced in 1965 at the famous Buhari Hotel restaurant in Chennai by its founder A.M.Buhari, a pioneer in the South Indian food industry. They also offer Chicken 78, Chicken 82 and Chicken 90, introduced in 1978, 1982 and 1990 respectively”.
This is the sort of dish that can set your mouth on fire. This dish includes 2 steps cooking i.e. marinating and frying. Nowadays people have reintroduced the dish by giving tempering to the basic 65 recipes. Here are some variations like Jackfruit 65 and cauliflower 65. It has crazy saltiness and crunchiness to it. The punchy flavors of curry leaves, ginger, garlic and chilies, make a happy Indian dish. Chicken 65 is a classic, and this classic deserves a special mention.
|Prep Time||4 hours|
|Cook Time||30 minutes|
- 500 gram chicken cubes
- 2-3 spings Curry leaves
- 4 no Slit Green chilies
- for deep frying oil
- 100 gram Greek yogurt
- 1 big no Egg
- 1/2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1/4th tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Chili powder
- 2 pinches of Red food colour (see notes)
- 1/2 tsp pepper powder
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 2 tbsp rice flour
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp oil
- to taste salt
- lemon wedges
- sliced onion
- few chopped coriander leaves
- In a mixing bowl take all the ingredients listed under “to marinate” .
- Crack the egg and mix it with the marinade.
- Whisk well to combine the ingredients well.
- Add washed and drained chicken pieces to the above prepared marinade.
- Mix well with a spoon.
- Cover with a cling film; refrigerate it for 3-4 hour.
- After 4 hour, take generous amount of oil in a pan and allow it to become hot.
- Then drop few of the marinated chicken pieces into the hot oil without crowding the vessel.
- Fry in medium flame till they fully cook and turn crisp.
- Remove them onto absorbent paper, keep aside.
- Fry rest of the chicken pieces in batches.
- Finally fry the slit green chilies and curry leaves in the same oil for few seconds.
- Remove and mix with fried chicken pieces.
- Serve immediately.
- All purpose Flour can be replaced with cornflour.
- want to avoid food colour then here is a solution for you.
- Add kashmiri red chilli paste instead of chilli powder and red food colour.
- Adding a tsp of soya sauce can enhance the taste of chicken 65.
- if you have lack of time then no need to wait for 4 hour.
- Frying after 1/2 an hour also gives you a good result.
- here are some other party recipes Bread pizza , chatpata masala papad , Delhi style aloo chat, cinnamon sugar twists , grilled pineapple mojito, chocolate cake and chocolate bombs …