Misti doi or sweet yogurt is one of the famous dessert from Bengol. A bengoli meal is totally incomplete without misti doi.It is Beautiful and simple to look at , but tastes out of the world. It’s rich tastes invites all people to taste it. misti doi is usually prepared of full fat milk , curd and sugar. It is settled in earthen pots, which takes overnight to set completely.
But nowadays people stared baking misti doi, which is a quick way to have misti doi. Now-a-days misti doi is easily available in bengoli sweet shop throughout the India. Misti doi is also available in packaged form in any departmental store.
But still few people like the traditional way. Few people leave the misti doi in earthen pots for overnight, so that it soak up all the loose water and leaves the rich and sweetness to devour. The aroma after settling down is very soothing and fresh.
Aam doi or mango curd is the sweetened curd which carries the flavor of mango. It is another variation of misti doi. Fresh mango puree is added with the basic misti doi recipe. Mango puree, Greek yogurt and evaporate milk are whisked together , then baked until set. It can be baked in earthen pots, but I used ramekins. Though its tastes best when they are baked in earthen pots.
Evaporate milk is the basic ingredient of this dish, but somehow it is not available in all parts of India. Evaporate milk can be easily prepared at home. Just reduce the milk to half and use it as required. Even I was also looking for the substitute for long time.. But here I am sharing another method, by which you can prepare misti doi without adding any evaporate milk and reduced milk.
|Prep Time||10 minutes|
|Cook Time||25 minutes|
- 1 cup Hung curd/ Greek yogurt
- 3/4th cup Mango puree
- 1/2 cup condensed milk
- 6 tbsp skimmed milk powder
- 4 pods cardamom
- 1/4th cup water
- To make hung curd, pour 2 cups of yogurt in a muslin cloth, bring the edges together, tie the cloth tightly, hang it for 2-3 hours. Let the whey drained completely.
- Preheat the oven at 170’c.
- Mix skimmed milk powder with the Luke warm water and make a lumps free solution.
- Make Powder of cardamom seeds and set aside.
- Combine hung curd, mango puree, condensed milk, powdered cardamom and skimmed milk solution in a mixing bowl.
- Whisk all the ingredients until smooth and well combined.
- Pour into individual earthen pots/ ramekins.
- Place the ramekins in a oven proof trey and fill water so it reaches half way up the ramekins sides.
- Bake them for 20 minutes until top seems set.
- Let it come to room temperature then chill for 3 -4 hour.
- Enjoy !!
- take Luke warm water in a wide bowl , slowly add skimmed milk powder and whisk well.
- yes , the mixture will be thick , that’s what we want.
- if you are using ramekins then it may take less time for baking.
- check after 15 minutes.