33rd foodie Monday blog hop, and this time the theme is very simple , Rice theme. I choose a very delicious snack dish, Arancini, which is extremely melt in mouth type. Arancini is a delicious snack influenced from the Arancini-di-riso recipe.
These rice balls are stuffed with cheese or jam or any other sauce , coated with breadcrumbs and then deep fried . These are wonderful looking, orange colour fried balls, which got their name from the Italian word Arancia, which means Orange. These actually look very decadent.
Arancini are the common street food of Italy. These are nothing, but the fried rice balls. These fried rice balls have many local variation, that differs in shape and stuffing.
Italians used Risotto to make these fried rice balls. Instead of mashing up rice they used egg to bind these balls. The hot rice balls are crunchy from outside and soft inside. These are absolutely yummy snack.
There are so many Indian version of Arancini . we Indians always have some leftover rice laying in the fridge. So by using the leftover rice, these yummy balls can be prepared. You don’t need to make risotto every time to have Arancini. This is the perfect way to recycle the leftover rice.
These rice balls take little time to prepare and can take a few more minutes for frying, but absolutely worth cooking and this can be a good party snack and appetizer. The balls can be cooked in paniyaram pan and can be baked too.
These are the Indianised version of Rajma chawal arancini, perfect spicy, crunchy outside and cheesy inside.I stuffed these Rajama Chawal arancini with cheese cubes. I feel cubes are the best because they literally melt in your mouth adding a whole new experience to this dish. Let’s start preparing this dish.
- Cooked rice – 1 cup
- Rajma curry – ½ cup
- Potato – 1 (cooked & mashed)
- schezwan sauce – 3 tsp
- Onion – 1 medium
- Bread crumbs – ½ cup
- Chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Garam masala- ½ tsp
- Chopped coriander leaves – 1 tbsp
- Corn flour – 4 tbsp
- Salt – ½ tsp
- Oil – for deep frying
- Cheese cubes – 10-12 no
METHOD OF PREPARATION :
- Before starting ensure that rajma curry should be in dry form otherwise the balls will be watery .
- Mash up the rajma curry , finely chop the onion, set aside
- coarsely grind the rice and keep it in bowl.
- Add 2 tbsp of bread crumbs, 1 tbsp of corn flour ,mashed Rajam curry, onion, schezwan sauce, chopped coriander leaves along with all dry masalas with the rice.
- Mix well and form into balls.
- Place cheese cubes in the center of each ball.
- Place them in a plate and refrigerate it for an hour.
- After resting time is over , take out the balls from the refrigerator .
- Take corn flour in a small bowl, add a little water and make a batter.
- Heat oil in a wok.
- Dip in the balls in cornflour batter, then coat in bread crumbs.
- Deep fry these in medium flame till they turn golden.