Odisha is gifted with many healthy dishes. Not only pitha (dumplings) and mitha(sweets) ,odisha has many authentic curry and pulao recipes which are equally healthy and soul satisfying. But sad that those dishes are yet to get considerable attention. Compared to other cuisine odiya cuisines use less oil, less spices but very flavourable.
Few dishes are mostly associated with this state like chenapoda , chenna jhili, rasogolla, chena jilapi , chena mudki , santula and dalma. When you think about odisha, which food name usually comes to your mind ?? “Dalma” !! Dalma is the staple food of odisha. Among all the easy and healthy dishes , Dalma is considered as the lifeline of odisha .
Dalma is the comfort food for odiya people. For odiya people dalma is to Odisha what Undhiyo is to Gujarat or Pav Bhaji is to Mumbai . It is absolutely a fuss free recipe. Dalma is prepared by combining dals and vegetables. Any vegetable can be added with this dish. The more the variety of vegetables, the better the taste is enhanced. It is a very simple and healthy recipe providing almost all the nutrients required for a balanced meal.
Dalma is also offered to lord Jagannath as a part of the chapan bhog. That’s why dalma is considered as a saatvik food, i.e. without onion and garlic. But nowadays people are adding onion and garlic to enhance the taste. Traditionally dalma is prepared with pure ghee (clarified butter) and cooked in an earthen pot. Being a versatile dish that it is, this recipe suits all seasons and reasons.
It is the time for Ratha yatra, when we people avoid taking onion and garlic. In this occasion of holy Ratha yatra I prepared this soul satisfying food. In odisha dalma recipe varies from person to person. Everyone has their own way for making dalma.i learn many verities of making dalma. Dalma tastes different with the combination of lentils & vegetables used in the recipe.
I made dalma once in a month. Here I am sharing my signature recipe . My in-laws don’t like the taste of dalma. But now-a-days they love to have this dish. It is quite different from normal dalma recipe. When you don’t want to include spices in your diet just prepare this dish and enjoy with plain rice or any pulao or pulkas .
- Toor dal (pigeon peas)– ½ cup
- Channa dal (bengal gram ) – 4 tbsp
- Moond dal (split green gram) – 3 tbsp
- Raw papaya – ¾ th cup
- Parwel – 2 no or 3/4th cup
- Teasle Gourd – 2 no
- Carrot – 1 small
- Potato – 2 medium
- Pumpkin – 1 & 1/4th cup
- Sweet potato – ½ no
- Colcasia/ arbi – 1 medium no
- Brinjal – 1 medium or 2 cup
- Ginger – 1 “ piece
- Salt – 1 ½ tsp
- Turmeric – 1 heaped tsp
- White Chickpea (optional) – ½ cup (soaked overnight)
For tempering :
- Ghee – 1 tbsp
- Tomato – 3 medium no
- Vegetable oil – 2 tbsp
- Sugar – 1 tsp
- Cumin seed – 1 & ½ tsp
- Dry red chilies – 4 no
- Green chilies- 2 no
- Tej patta – 1 no
- Grated coconut – 2 to 3 tbsp
For bhaja masala –
- Whole cumin seeds – 2 tbsp
- Dry red chilies – 6 no
- Whole fenugreek seeds – 2 tbsp
METHOD OF PREPARATION :
- First of all soak the channa dal for ½ an hour.
- Within the soaking time lets prepare bhaja masala .
- Dry roast cumin seed, dry red chillies, fenugreek seed separately.
- Grind cumin seeds and dry red chillies into fine powder.
Grind fenugreek seeds into fine powder.
- Peel and chop all the vegetables into big cubes.
- Grate or crush the ginger .
- In a pan dry roast the yellow moong dal by stirring continuously.
- Roast till you get a nice aroma. Let it be cool.
- Wash all the dals and keep it in a bowl.
- In a pressure cooker take 2 ½ cup of water, salt and turmeric.
- Let it boil, add washed dal and all the vegetables along with crushed ginger.
- Close the lid and keep the flame high.
- Let one whistle come, then switch off the flame.
- Wait for 2 minutes, then show the pressure cooker under tap water to release all the pressure.
For tempering :
- Tempering is the important part of dalma.so read and follow each step.
- Finely chop green chillies and tomatoes.
- Heat oil and ghee in a wide kadhai.
- When oil comes to smoky hot add the sugar and let it caramelize.
- Don’t put any spoon , when sugar starts to caramelize gently shake the kadhai , then immediately add cumin seeds and tej patta.
- Let it pop , add chopped green chilliesand whole dry chillies , soute for few second, add chopped tomatoes along with little salt.
- Mix and cover it for 1 -2 minute.
- Stir occasionaly. When tomato turns mussy add cooked vegetable with dal.
- Add another ½ cup of water giving a nice mix.
- Add grated coconut , 1 ½ tbsp of roasted cumin and chili powder, 2 tsp of fenugreek powder.
- Give a final mix, let it boil for 1 minute more.
- Switch off the flame and it’s done.
- Enjoy hot hot dalma with plain rice, or pulkas or parathas.
- Instead of all three dals only toor dal can be used.take around 3/4th cup of toor dal.
- I was running out of runner beans. If you have then add 4-5 no of runner beans to the dalma.
- Coconut is an essential ingredient of this dish. Don’t skip it.
- You may add more water to make the dalma watery.
- Add more roasted cumin –dry chilli powder as per your choice.