There are few things those are never go out of Fashion. They get better & better with time. South Indian dishes are always a treasure and dosas are the staple food of south India. Dosa is traditionally made with more rice and less urad dal ( split black lentils) which is easier to make and favorite of all.
But Adai dosas are totally different, crispy and delicious. This is also simple to make and packed with flavors. Adai dosas are delightful blend of dals, a rich source of protein and fiber. It is an excellent breakfast idea. if you are bored with regular breakfast then this is the dish which will cheer up your mood as well as health.
Adai is originated from Tamilnadu and it is served with Avial. Usually Adai is cooked into thick pancakes which consumed more oil than the regular crispy dosas.but here I am sharing a thinner and crispier version of Adai dosa which consumes less oil.
Thickness of dosas depends on your own preference. It can be made like pancakes or like regular crisp dosas. you can add grated veggies or drumstick leaves or spinach leaves to the Adai batter and give whatever shape you want.
Adai is made of four healthy lentils like channa dal, tur dal, urad dal and moong dal. It is spiced with dried red chilies and flavored with fenugreek seeds , asafetida and curry leaves. The dals which are the main heroes of this dish, the quantity of the dal varies from person to person.
Dals are good source of protein. And this week we have a theme based on Dal, so I am sharing my daughter’s favorite dish with all. She loves Adai Idlies more than dosa. So I always used some grated veggies with finely chopped onion with idlies and she loves it.
It is also an excellent recipe to impress kids. Those kids who hates having dal, this dish is perfect for those. This can be a Tiffin box item for kids. So here I am sharing Adai Muffin, which can be prepared quickly using microwave.
The good thing about this dish is , you don’t need to wait for fermenting. You can wait for 2 hours or you can make it instantly in just 20 minutes.
Making Adai idly / dosa is an excellent way to include lentils in your diet. Try to soak longer time, because soaking helps in grinding faster and smoother. Few adds ginger , cumin seeds and peppercorn to this batter. Ginger , cumin seed and methi seeds help in digestion. Curry levees give an excellent aroma and refreshing flavor to this dish. Red chilies in this dish gives it a natural colour and make this concoction not just healthy but also lip sparklingly delicious.
So go ahead and surprise your family with a feast of Adai dishes without worrying
about your blood sugar level.
- Par boil rice – 1 cup
- Urad dal (split black lentils) – ½ cup
- Moong dal (yellow lentils) – 1/4th cup
- Toor dal (pigeon pes or arhar ki dal ) – 1/4th cup
- Methi seeds (fenugreek seeds) – 1/4th tsp
- Dry red chillies – 6 to 8 no
- Curry leaves – 10 to 15 no
- Garlic – 6 pods
- Asafoetida (hing) – a generious pinch
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – as required
METHOD OF PREPARATION :
- Wash rice and dals. Soak rice ,dals ,methi seeds and dry chilies with enough water for overnight.
- In morning grind curry leaves, red chilies, hing with handful of soaked dal + rice, make fine paste.
- Then add rest of soaked dal and rice , make a smooth paste by adding little water. grinding will take only 15 minutes.
- Make a medium consistency batter.
- Rest the batter for 2-3 hours and let it ferment.
For dosa :
- Heat a dosa tawa and pour a ladle full of batter and spread circular wise.
- Drizzle some oil to it and cook till the dosa turns crisp, flip to cook on the other side. It’s done now !!
- Continue the same with remaining batter.
- Serve the dosa with coconut chutney.
For idly :
- Boil water in idly maker. Grease the idly moulds with little oil and Pour the batter.
- When water boils carefully place the idly stand in between the boiling water.
- Close the lid and cook on high flame for 1 -2 minute then lower the flame .
- Cook for 10-12 minute more till idlies are steamed completely.
- Cool the idlies, remove from flame and serve these.
For muffin :
- I have added little grated carrots and finely chopped onions to the batter. You may skip it.
- Line silicon cupcake moulds, pour the prepared adai batter within the moulds .
- Microwave these for 3 minutes ( for 4 muffin) on high power.
- Check the muffin by inserting a toothpick in the center , if it’s not done then microwave it for 10 second more.
- You can add grated veggies, green chilies and onion to this dish, but ensure that the onion & green chilies should be finely chopped
- If you are making for kids then skip adding green and red chilies.
- You can add little cumin seeds and a small piece of ginger while grinding, though I avoid adding these.
- You can use sesame oil for making adai dishes, its tastes heavenly.
- You may avoid adding garlic, but I love the garlic flavor infused with adai dosa/idly.
- Add little black pepper corn if you want to make the dosa/idly more spicy.